May 3, 2013

Windows 7: Stuck on failure configuring windows updates reverting changes

I came across this issue yesterday after downloading and installing several updates to a laptop that had never got any updates since Windows 7 was setup. It was I think more that 130 important and optional updates. As soon as installed the updates, it automatically restarted the laptop and causes this looping issue of "failure configuring windows updates reverting changes". In a simple word, it was stuck on that screen.


I tried every possible steps from restarting the machine even it says "do not turn off your computer" to booting to Safemode. But here's what I did to solve this issue:
  1. Restart your PC/laptop
  2. Keep tapping F8 as soon as see the initialization screen
  3. Choose Safemode
  4. Once Safemode is fully loaded, hit Start>type cmd
  5. Right click on cmd and chose Run as Administrator
  6. On the Command Prompt screen type sfc /scannow
  7. When its done, type chkdsk /f/r
  8. Restart the PC/laptop and boot to Windows as normal

2 comments:

Do you plan on allowing updates since everything is running fine? I just did a destructive restore because the malicious tool update Microsoft sent out this week caused my ASUS CM6850 to stop working properly and it was continuously locking up. I completed over 140 updates when 5 of the same type (spread over 1.5 years) popped up several hours later and I decided to install them because they all came before the malicious tool update. Bad mistake, and that is when I got the screens you mention above.

@ Jerry Baccus :

try to do system restore

Post a Comment