Dec 26, 2014

OpenWrt with PPTP VPN on TP-Link TL-MR3020

The other day, I gave up trying to put OpenWrt on a TP-Link TL-WR703n. The stock firmware seems to check for valid hashes, and OpenWrt doesn’t pass the test. Until someone comes up with a hack, I’ve moved on to the TL-MR3020. From what I’ve read only, the only difference is that the MR3020 has a few status LEDs, and the stock interface is in English instead of Chinese.


Again, my plan for this router is to use it when I travel. I plan on plugging it into the ethernet port in a hotel and having it broadcast a wireless network. Any devices that join that wireless network will be VPNed in back to a PPTP VPN server at my house. This encrypts my connection, as well as gives me access to resources at home. Eventually, I’ll be upgrading the VPN server at home to OpenVPN. If you don’t know the difference between PPTP, IPSec, and OpenVPN, you should get started with this.

Install OpenWrt

First, disconnect your PC from all wired and wireless networks. Then, plug the MR3020 into your PC with a wired connection. Do not do any of this over wireless. I started off by checking my IP in Windows.

Read more about OpenWrt with PPTP VPN on TP-Link TL-MR3020 at LoganMarchione

0 comments:

Post a Comment