Lemon cayenne pepper diet or master cleanse diet is a cleansing program that removes harmful toxins from the body, and aids in weight loss. It was produced by Stanley Burroughs in 1941, and later became popular through Peter Glickman's book Lose Weight, Have More Energy and Be Happier in 10 Days, that promoted Burroughs' diet plan to the modern audience. The diet mainly comprises freshwater, pure lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and natural maple syrup.
The medicinal value of the detox diet mainly comes from a chemical called capsaicin. This ingredient not only gives heat to the cayenne peppers, but also minimizes the platelet sickness, and relieves pain. The detox diet is rich in vitamin E, vitamin C, and carotenoids, that help in improving your overall health. Before going into details of other health benefits of the diet, let's see how to make the detox drink.
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon (don't use concentrates, and drink mixes as they contain preservatives)
- 2 tbsp. organic or natural maple syrup
- 1/10 tsp. cayenne pepper, as per taste
- 8 oz. freshwater
Due to excessive intake of processed and junk food, very little nutrients enter our bodies. Hence, our bodies have to really work hard to get rid of these low nutritional valued food. Also, ingestion of numerous chemicals and toxins in the body while breathing are deleterious, and keep getting built up over the years. Therefore, the detox diet not only gives us a break from the solid food intake but also cleanse our bodies naturally.
- The diet increases the body's metabolic rate and improves the flow of stomach secretion that helps to sooth the digestive tract. Cayenne Pepper also helps in treating weak digestion, ulcers, and some digestive ailments like dyspepsia.
- Along with removing toxins from the body, it reduces the cravings for drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and junk food. Coffee, tea, colas, and other beverages lose their appeal in front of the marvels of this lemonade diet.
- Regular intake of the detox drink boosts your energy levels, helps you to lose up to 20 pounds in a short period of time, make you look younger and gives freshness like never before.
- The acid in lemons and the cayenne peppers treat different health-related problems like poor circulation, heart disease, sore throat, etc. In fact, one of the health benefit of cayenne pepper is that it is considered as a first aid relief for people suffering from a heart attack.
- It also helps in relieving pain like chronic pain, and tooth and head aches.
Following this diet is a challenge though, as it is difficult to give up the comfort of food, and the caffeine in beverages like tea and coffee. But due to the different health benefits associated with it, it is worth getting through this rough part. It is recommended to drink nearly 6 - 8 glasses of this detox drink per day during the diet. For better results, follow the diet for 7 - 10 days. You can also extend it to 14 - 16 days. The maximum recommended extension is 40 days. However, always consult your dietitian or a health practitioner before starting the diet. The diet will not only help you cleanse your system, but will also enable you to lose weight, and leave you feeling fit.