Relaxing the muscles of our body, allowing the blood to move freely in the arteries and veins and also lowering the blood pressure level, are some of the main functions of hydralazine. This drug is a vasodilator which can be used with or without any other kind of medications and it is usually used to treat high blood pressure or hypertension, which (if not treated) can often lead to strokes, various problems related to the kidneys or even heart related problems. Although this drug is highly effective in treating high blood pressure, there are some side effects which you have to be careful of and the risk of side effects after a hydralazine dose, is comparatively higher than that of other drugs and medications. Given below are some of the hydralazine side effects.
Side Effects of Hydralazine
It is a strong medicine or prescription drug which can be taken orally either on an empty stomach or sometimes with food (as per the doctor's instruction) and the dosage also depends upon what your doctor asks you to take. As it has already been mentioned above that the side effects are much higher compared to the other medications used for the same purpose. Here are some of the common side effects of this drug.
- Increased heart rate or pounding of the heart
- The person does not feel like eating or appetite is lost
- Severe headache
- Nausea and vomiting (please note that diarrhea, nausea and vomiting are not common side effects but one cannot rule them out completely)
- Dizziness from getting up quickly just after taking the medicine
- Increased heart rate also leads to fatigue and shortness of breath
- The color of urine undergoes changes and it turns dark
- Joint pain and body swelling
- Fever and chest pain
- Another side effect is weight gain
- Skin problems such as hives, body itching and so on
- The mouth, lips, tongue and face swells up
- Chills and sore throat
- Mood swings
- Bruising and bleeding without cause
- The skin and eyes turns yellow
- A constant feeling that you are about to pass out
- Pain while urinating
- Stuffed nose and sometimes runny nose
- Anxious behavior
In case you notice these side effects after starting this medication then you should inform your doctor immediately. There are certain precautions too which you should keep in mind before you take this medicine. Here are some of the necessary precautions.
- Inform your doctor if you are suffering from any kind of kidney problem or whether you have had any stroke previously.
- People with coronary heart disease or rheumatic heart disease which affects the mitral valve, also need to inform their doctor before taking hydralazine.
- Pregnant women should also be careful while taking this hypertension medication and if you have any intention of getting pregnant while you are taking this medicine, you should inform your doctor.
- Those mothers who are breast feeding, should also avoid this medication as the baby might take in the drug though the breast milk.
Hence, these were the several side effects of hydralazine. Follow the dosage and advice given by your physician, and DO NOT stop taking the medicine just because you think that you feel well. The doctor will tell you when to stop.