Commonly known as guanabana or graviola, soursop is a fruit that is quite popular among the masses owing to its medicinal value. Right from the time, its medicinal value was discovered, soursop has been used as a remedial measures to treat health disorders in a natural way, without any harmful side effects. According to a study, researchers have come upon the fact that soursop and cancer cure are related and also help in effectively controlling its spread. Soursop in any form is very good for the overall health of an individual.
Soursop Tea Health Benefits
Drinking a cup of soursop tea can help you reap a number of benefits. You can take this tea in the morning or evening. The fruit and leaves of this plant are also used as a remedy to treat many disorders.
- As seen earlier, soursop fights against the carcinogens which enter the body through various sources. These carcinogens are responsible for causing the unhealthy multiplication of cells, leading to cancer. Taking soursop tea prevents this unnatural growth and also prevents the spread of cancerous cells.
- Guanabana has high concentration of flavonoids, which are antioxidants. These flavonoids help fight against the free radicals in the body and prevents the occurrence of many illnesses.
- Soursop tea can also be used as remedy to cure hematuria (blood in urine), urethritis and liver problems. To relieve these problems, you can drink soursop tea on an empty stomach, the first thing after you get up in the morning.
- Since graviola is a rich source of vitamin C, it effectively treats the symptoms of cold and flu, relieving blocked nose and cough. Individuals suffering from calcium deficiency can also derive benefits from this fruit due to its high Vitamin C content.
- Complaints like diarrhea, indigestion and other abdominal problems can be addressed with the inclusion of soursop and its supplements. This is because soursop maintains the health of the digestive system and promotes easy assimilation of food. Soursop also helps relieve the symptoms caused due to gallbladder problems.
- Soursop tea acts as a blood purifier and filters the toxins from the body. This helps to maintain a clear skin, which is free from blemishes, acne and other skin disorders. It also promotes the faster healing of wounds by triggering the production fibrinogen.
Soursop tea is made by infusing dry soursop leaves in boiling water. Fresh leaves however are more effective and are normally used for concocting the tea. Here is a soursop tea recipe done in the traditional way.
Soursop leaves, 4 to 5
Water, 1 cup
Milk (optional), ½ cup
Honey to taste
Pluck a few fresh leaves from the tree if you have one in your garden. Make sure the leaves are tender and not mature. Tender leaves give a better flavor and are also higher in flavonoids as compared to the mature ones. Wash the leaves thoroughly under running water to clear the dust and other residue that may be stuck to the leaves. Dry them with a paper towel and tear them into small pieces. Meanwhile, in a small-sized pot pour a cup of water to boil it. Place the shredded leaves in a cup and pour the boiling water in it. Cover the cup and let this infusion stand for about half an hour. This is the time taken for drawing the tea, and the longer it stands, the better flavor you will get. Once the tea has been concocted, you can add honey or sugar to taste.
Soursop included in any form, be it the fruit, juice or tea is productive in preventing as well as treating many maladies. However, this tea should be drunk in moderation, owing to some side effects it may have, on the health.