We all have a fair idea about the health benefits of incorporating oatmeal in the regular diet. But there is more to oatmeal uses than serving in breakfast and making cookies out of it. Yes, this fiber rich cereal is also a wonderful ingredient for skin treatment. You can use it in your regular beauty regime for nurturing skin or soothing skin irritation. But, what is so special about oatmeal that you should use it for skin care? Scroll down to know about oatmeal benefits for skin and how to use it.
Major Benefits of Oatmeal for Skin
The use of oatmeal for treating eczema, poison ivy rash, insect bites and skin symptoms caused by infections has been known for thousands of years. If we talk about dermal benefits of oatmeal, it serves as a natural exfoliating agent. This cereal possesses anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-itch and many other impressive properties. The following information is a brief highlight about the benefits of oatmeal for your skin.
- This popular cereal is excellent for addressing dry skin symptoms, including itchiness, rashes, scales, peeling, etc. There is hardly anything that can match the curative action of oatmeal for combating dry skin problems.
- It helps in replenishing skin moisture, thereby keeping the skin hydrated and smooth. People who use oatmeal in skin care routine notice improvement in the skin tone, and are able to flaunt a blemish free skin.
- When oatmeal is used as a natural cleanser, it draws out skin impurities from the skin surface without causing irritation, leaving behind a soft and silky skin. In short, you can definitely use it like a soap without the harshness of chemicals. Read more on benefits of oatmeal soap.
- Colloidal oatmeal (oats that have been ground to powder) is mixed with warm water to make a thick paste. It is then applied over itchy skin to get instant relief. Regular use of the same is indicated for prompt treatment of intense itching.
- The benefits of taking oatmeal bath is documented in alternative treatment for a wide range of skin conditions. Be it dry itchy skin or painful sunburn symptoms, bathing with oatmeal for 10 minutes everyday is a reliable cure.
- While dealing with skin inflammation and painful skin conditions, the anti-inflammatory property of oatmeal takes into action. It provides protection to the affected skin areas and soothes inflammation.
- Instead of facial scrub, try using oatmeal for your regular skin treatment. It is effective for getting rid of dead skin cells that build up in the pores. In the same way, add oatmeal in your homemade facial mask to flaunt a smoother skin.
Adverse effects of commercially sold skin care formulations is a much talked about topic in dermatological science. If you are concerned about the same, try using oatmeal for skin care. The most impressive part about this edible ingredient is its suitability for all types of skin. So, you can definitely opt for natural skin care regimen with oatmeal. It is excellent for people with hypersensitive skin as well, and there are virtually no side effects of using it. Those who have acne prone skin can reap the benefits of oatmeal in reducing acne outbreaks. Proper ways for using oatmeal in skin care are listed below.
- You can purchase colloidal oatmeal from health food stores. Or else, prepare it on your own by blending oatmeal in a clean food processor, until it turns into a fine powdery texture.
- To make the most of the benefits of oatmeal, use it as a facial scrub. For the same, you need to mix fine oatmeal powder with a few drops of water. Rub this paste over the face, neck and other parts in circular motion. Rinse thoroughly with cold water.
- Follow the above method and leave for some time (say 5 minutes) before washing. This way, you can use oatmeal as an all natural facial mask. For a different version, consider adding lemon juice, honey, almond oil, jojoba oil and other beneficial ingredients in the facial mask recipe.
- Cooked oatmeal is an excellent remedy for treating acne. For this, boil some amount of oatmeal until it softens, and allow it to cool down to a comfortable temperature. Apply it over the affected areas and rinse it off after 10 minutes.
- In order to take oatmeal bath advantages, pat skin dry after bathing is over. Be gentle on your skin, and avoid rubbing it harshly. If it irritates the skin, remove traces of oatmeal, which otherwise should be left on the skin for effective results.
Oatmeal has been used in cosmetology for formulating several skin care products. If you check the labels of body scrubs, soaps, exfoliation cream and general body lotions, you will come across oatmeal in most of the trusted brands. While purchasing any of these products, check the remaining ingredients and select those that are free of strong chemicals. After using oatmeal directly, make a point to apply a good quality moisturizer to provide complete skin care.