Jan 15, 2014

SmartMedia Card Pinout Assignment

SmartMedia Description and Pin Out


SmartMedia is another type of Removable NAND-type small flash memory card format. The SmartMedia device size is 45 mm x 37 mm x 0.76 mm [thick]. SmartMedia cards operate using either 3.3 volt or 5 volt. Solid State Floppy Disk Card [SSFDC] is the old name for SmartMedia, which was changed in 1996. SSFDC was Developed by Toshiba Corp. Current SmartMedia storage format include 16-Mbit, 32-Mbit, and 64-Mbit NAND-type flash memory chips. The SmartMedia card does not use a connector, instead it uses a contact area as shown in the graphic below.

The graphic also defines the pinout or pin locations.


SmartMedia Pinout
Pin # Pin Name Signal Function
1 Vss Ground
2 CLE Command Latch Enable
3 ALE Address Latch Enable
4 WE Write Enable
5 WP Write Protect
6 I/O1 I/O Data Line 1
7 I/O2 I/O Data Line 2
8 I/O3 I/O Data Line 3
9 I/O4 I/O Data Line 4
10 Vss Ground
11 Vss Ground
12 Vcc 3.3v +/- 0.3 volts
13 I/O5 I/O Data Line 5
14 I/O6 I/O Data Line 6
15 I/O7 I/O Data Line 7
16 I/O8 I/O Data Line 8
17 PD Vcc Power Detect Vcc
18 GND (optional on 32Mbit) Ground Level Input
19 RY/BY Ready / Busy (Open Drain)
20 RE Read Enable
21 CE Chip Enable
22 Vcc Voltage Supply

When the card notch is on the left side the card uses 5 volts, when it's on the right side the card uses 3.3v +/- 0.3 volts. The graphic below provides a comparison of the different Removable memory Card standards. Many of the different Memory Card standards have descriptions listed on this web site. The different standards based on card size are provided. Refer to the Personal Computer Buses page for more information for different memory types, as listed here.


Refer here for a list of different Flash Memory Stick Formats.

0 comments:

Post a Comment