Msvcr110.dll Error Messages
There are several different ways that msvcr110.dll errors can show up on your computer. Here are some of the more common ways that you might see msvcr110.dll errors:
- "Msvcr110.dll Not Found"
- "This application failed to start because msvcr110.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."
- "Cannot find [PATH]\msvcr110.dll"
- "The file msvcr110.dll is missing."
- "Cannot start [APPLICATION]. A required component is missing: msvcr110.dll. Please install [APPLICATION] again."
Msvcr110.dll error messages might appear while using or installing certain programs, when Windows starts or shuts down, or maybe even during a Windows installation.
The context of the msvcr110.dll error is an important piece of information that will be helpful while solving the problem.
Cause of Msvcr110.dll Errors
Msvcr110.dll errors are caused by situations that lead to the removal or corruption of the msvcr110 DLL file.
In some cases, msvcr110.dll errors could indicate a registry problem, a virus or malware issue or even a hardware failure.
Don't Want to Fix This Yourself?
If you're interested in fixing this problem yourself, continue with the troubleshooting in the next section.
Otherwise, see How Do I Get My Computer Fixed? for a full list of your support options, plus help with everything along the way like figuring out repair costs, getting your files off, choosing a repair service, and a whole lot more.
How To Fix Msvcr110.dll Errors
Important: Do not download msvcr110.dll from a "DLL download" website. There are many reasons why downloading a DLL file is a bad idea. If you need a copy of msvcr110.dll, it's best to obtain it from its original, legitimate source.
Note: Start Windows in Safe Mode to complete any of the following steps if you're unable to access Windows normally due to the msvcr110.dll error.
1. Download the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 4 package and run it. This will replace/restore the msvcr110.dll with the most recent copy provided by Microsoft.
You're given several download options from Microsoft for this update, based on the version of Windows you have installed - x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit). See Am I Running a 32-bit or 64-bit Version of Windows? for help if you're not sure what to choose.
Important: Try your best to complete this step. Applying this update is almost always the solution to msvcr110.dll errors.
2. Restore msvcr110.dll from the Recycle Bin. The easiest possible cause of a "missing" msvcr110.dll file is that you've mistakenly deleted it.
If you suspect that you've accidentally deleted msvcr110.dll but you've already emptied the Recycle Bin, you may be able to recover msvcr110.dll with a free file recovery program.
Important: Recovering a deleted copy of msvcr110.dll with a file recovery program is a smart idea only if you're confident you've deleted the file yourself and that it was working properly before you did that.
3. Run a virus/malware scan of your entire system. Some msvcr110.dll errors could be related to a virus or other malware infection on your computer that has damaged the DLL file. It's even possible that the msvcr110.dll error you're seeing is related to a hostile program that's masquerading as the file.
4. Use System Restore to undo recent system changes. If you suspect that the msvcr110.dll error was caused by a change made to an important file or configuration, a System Restore could solve the problem.
5. Reinstall the program that's producing the msvcr110.dll error. If the msvcr110.dll error occurs when you use a particular program, reinstalling that program might help.
6. Install any available Windows updates. Many service packs and other patches replace or update some of the hundreds of Microsoft distributed DLL files on your computer. The msvcr110.dll file could be included in one of those updates.
7. Test your memory and then test your hard drive. I've left the majority of hardware troubleshooting to the last step, but your computer's memory and hard drive are easy to test and are the most likely components that might cause msvcr110.dll errors as they fail.
If the hardware fails any of your tests, replace the memory or replace the hard drive as soon as possible.
8. Repair your installation of Windows. If the individual msvcr110.dll file troubleshooting advice above is unsuccessful, performing a startup repair or repair installation should restore all Windows DLL files to their working versions.
9. Use a free registry cleaner to repair msvcr110.dll related issues in the registry. A free registry cleaner program may be able to help by removing invalid msvcr110.dll registry entries that might be causing the DLL error.
Important: I rarely recommend the use of registry cleaners. I've included the option here as a "last resort" attempt before the destructive step coming up next.
10. Perform a clean installation of Windows. A clean install of Windows will erase everything from the hard drive and install a fresh copy of Windows. If none of the steps above correct the msvcr110.dll error, this should be your next course of action.
Important: All the information on your hard drive will be erased during a clean install. Make sure you've made the best attempt possible to fix the msvcr110.dll error using a troubleshooting step prior to this one.
11. Troubleshoot for a hardware problem if any msvcr110.dll errors persist. After a clean install of Windows, your DLL problem can only be hardware related.
The msvcr110.dll error message could apply to any program or system that might utilize the file on any of Microsoft's operating systems including Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Windows 2000.